Thursday, June 4, 2009

Matins

Our matinal routine is as follows:

Feed and bathe the chinchilla
Turn on the computer
Sing the "Star-Spangled Banner" followed by, "Texas, Our Texas"
Open the blinds
Recite the Lord's Prayer
Silent Worship
Read the Proverb chapter of the day, and decide on the verse of the day
Read the New Testament passage of the day
Turn on the radio to music
Start the laundry
Update this blog, specifically the Proverb of the Day and the New Testament Passage of the Day

I keep to this specific sequence (with the possible exception of laundry, depending on weather and laundry pile) for a few reasons. I want to make sure that all of these things are attended to daily. I want them to become automatic, and that I do them comfortably without too much thinking about getting them done. Matinal prayer is the basis. If I can only accomplish one item on this list, it's the Lord's Prayer. Everything else is built around this, either added before or after it. I have other times during the day, such as vespers, with alternate routines. By having routine blocks of related tasks, I can get more accomplished in an organized manner. Also, I like the structure that it gives the children's lives. I like to think that they will have fond memories of a seamless order, of a mother who gracefully goes from song to prayer. Starting here provides a sense of freedom to the free time mid morning for daily, weekly, montly, seasonally or yearly duties. Occasionally, the Vintner's schedule or needs will trump my matinal routine. By missing it or reducing it, I appreciate how much more smoothly the days go when I do practice this routine. I also appreciate the block of time. I can add or subtract various blocks for what the day may hold. Instead of locking the whole day in a tight or rigid schedule, as I used to do, I have a flexible routine that provides a place and time for everything. This is my way of applicating the wisdom of Ecclesiastes: to everything there is a time and a season, a time to every purpose under heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment