Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Project Day

Wednesday is Project Day here at the Cottage. Ostensibly, that means needlework projects, but it's more than that. It's the one day reserved for tasks that need to be done weekly, monthly, seasonally and yearly. Of course, those sometimes bleed into other days, or fit better elsewhere. However, I found that if I didn't set aside specific times to address larger projects or infrequent duties, then I'd get too bogged down in the daily work to get to them. I also think of it as my day to sharpen knives - a metaphor for sharpening my mind and my homemaking skills, well, and literally sharpening the knives in the kitchen.

Today, I need to begin work on the new sling for the baby. I need to sharpen knives. The windows could use a little washing, at least one or two. I could go on and on with making the list, but I should stop there. If the list is too long, then I'll get overwhelmed and not start. Plus, there's always next Wednesday. It's not like the projects are the only things needing attending today; there are still daily duties, like child care and cooking that are done regardless of the day of the week or year.

No comments:

Post a Comment