Saturday, May 30, 2009

Baking, Farmer's Market and Gardening

I'm baking a loaf of half-white, half-wheat long rise sourdough and mincemeat kuchen. It was intended as apple chutney kuchen, but I changed my mind at the last minute. Saturday always feels like such a day of accomplishment, since I get the baking done just as soon as Matins, sometimes before.

Once the baking is done, we'll go to the farmer's market to buy some fresh veggies and pastured meat. I just love using eggs from chickens that scratch around in the dirt. Plus, the greens and browns are so pretty in the carton. Add the dark orange yolks into the experience, and it's hard to go back to supermarket white shells with pale yellow yolks. Hopefully, we can make this transition permanent.

I've got some new seedlings to put out into the garden today. I suspect that only the tomatoes will flourish, but possibly my peppers will thrive, too. So far, only one head of lettuce has come up, but maybe this weeks seeds will produce. I've been much luckier with my peas. The grapes are adjusting well.

No comments:

Post a Comment